Links

Credits

  Distributed by:
Template copyright :
V4NY ONLY TEMPLATES
Powered by :
Powered by Blogger

The roots that make up a tree

Sunday, December 18, 2005

I was raised by a family with as little drama as possible. My family is a little less than ONE TREE HILL. I’m neither a Nathan nor a Lucas Scott kind of character. My mom is a little less than Kirsten Cohen and my dad is a little less than Sandy Cohen. But my life is most certainly slightly more complicated than the ORANGE COUNTY kind of plot. Nevertheless, I loved how my parents brought me up. I loved how my correct decisions made my life better. I love how my mistakes made a sudden twist of events. And most of all, I love how I turned out to be, as a person. If by some odds, I’m given a chance to travel back in time, I would never change a thing in my life.

As a grown up I have found my mom to be my greatest idol. She’s one of the few persons I know that had once dreamed and actually succeeded in reaching that dream. When she was a kid, she had always dreamed to become a teacher. During her toughest years she still stuck with her career and actually didn’t mind how much she’s earning. Today, she’s still teaching but this time, she’s teaching in her own school.

My dad was once my hero. Although, during my puberty years, we had grown apart, now that I’m a bit more mature, I looked back and realized that he wasn’t all that bad as a father. In fact, he had been a great father. He was a father to me when I needed him the most. He retired at an early age. He had been self-employed since then. But that happened at my advantage actually, because he had been around most of the time to be a father to me and the rest of my siblings. And I cannot imagine how I would have turned out without him sticking his nose at me all the time.

My sister was the only princess in the family. Since she was the only sister I had. I always looked up at her because she was not only beautiful, she was also smart. I remembered when she asked me to come with her to the department store, there were guys coming to me to actually ask her name. And I’d normally tell them some fictitious name. Another thing that made me proud of her was when she had to choose the man she wanted to marry. There was an array of men she could choose from, of different colors and different levels. But she simply chose love. What I’ve learned from her is that you don’t have to take the stairs to go up, you can fly!

My older brother was like a fierce untamed lion back when he was younger. I had always been scared of him. But there were a lot of times that I was proud of him. And that’s when there were other kids bullying me. He made me realize that you should never let anyone put you down. Besides that, I was proud of him because he was the smartest one in the family. Although he might not have finished college, and he might seem like he’s a failure in many ways, I say otherwise. He was just too smart to follow a path that was too mediocre for him. He simply looked for a better path other than what was paved for him. And today, he has a family of his own. And I think he’s happy. I think it’s what he had always dreamed of. He makes me prouder because he’s not only smart, he’s also the bravest one in the family.

My younger brother had always been a pain in my ass. I thought that he was my dad’s favorite. But what I can remember about him when we were little, no matter how often we fight, whenever we are out somewhere in the world, we always stick together like no one can ever beat us when we’re together. No one can pick on him as long as I’m with him and I feel like he’s going to jump at any person that would pick on me. I have realized that there’s probably no person in the world that’s more of an asshole that he is. But that’s a good thing though. That gave me the infinite amount of patience that I have today. I always say to myself, I live with the worst kind of person I have ever known, there’s simply no person in the world that could ever make me explode in anger, not any more than he can. Funny thing is, if I can’t live with him, I can’t live without him either.


I have big dreams and I know that these dreams are going to take me far from where I am living right now. But wherever I go, the sun may shine a bit different, the air may smell a bit foreign, but wherever my family is, there’s home.

posted by Cris Rene Denopol at 10:25 PM | Permalink |

[ back home ]

Comments for The roots that make up a tree
simple hit counter